Note: While this lesson plan was written for a specific activity at a specific museum, it can easily be adapted to different artists, museums and locales.
Applies To: Creative Expression
Purpose: We will learn about local sculptor Cyrus Dallin as a springboard and inspiration for making our own sculptures.
- Learn background on Dallin and his work.
- Photograph his sculptures.
- Make our own sculptures.
- Worksheets / pencils
- Van or Charlie Card
- Model Magic Clay
- Cyrus Dallin Museum website: http://dallin.org
- Look at photos of his work.
- Do worksheets.
- Photograph our favorite sculptures at the Cyrus Dallin Museum, and nearby outdoor sculptures.
- Practice five related “Vanilla Vocab” words.
- Make our own sculptures using Model Magic clay.
Carrying the Concept Forward
Additional Notes (New England):
Our familiarity with Dallin’s work will enrich our future visits to the Museum of Fine Arts (Dallin’s “Appeal to the Great Spirit” is out front) and the North End (Dallin’s “Paul Revere” is in the pedestrian mall next to the Old North Church).