Created by Michael Bowman, 3L Place, June 2018
Applies to: Understanding and Participating in Community, ADEF
Purpose: Explore and enrich members’ understanding of issues related to diversity and prejudice.
- Teach definitions of diversity, neurodiversity, prejudice, and discrimination
- Explore members’ personal experience with prejudice with a special focus on discrimination experienced by nonverbal people, where judgments are made about a person’s intelligence based on strength of their speaking abilities.
- Worksheet packet (attached below)
- iPad, computer, or smart board
- Discuss basic definitions of “diversity”, “inclusion”, and “multiculturalism” with an emphasis on the ways that diversity enriches our lives.
- Watch “Teens talk about diversity”
- Discuss basic definitions of “prejudice”, “discrimination”, and “exclusion” with an emphasis on the ways prejudice hurts people and negatively impacts our lives.
- Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfO82z29hWg and read/discuss the captions as they come on the screen.
- Read and complete worksheet packet together as a group.