Created by Michael Bowman, 3LPlace, May 2018
Applies to: Understanding and Participating in Community
Purpose: Help members better understand what SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is and how it is intended to be used in their lives.
- Learn about the existence of the Social Security Administration.
- Increase awareness of the fact that students are entitled to SSI checks because of their disability status.
- Give context for visits to the Social Security Office they have taken or will have taken with their families.
- Packet/worksheets (attached)
- Internet enabled device (i.e. iPad)
- Watch Social Security: The Greatest Government Policy of All Time? for brief overview.
- Discuss President FDR’s New Deal and his efforts to provide a social safety net for Americans struggling through the Great Depression
- Discuss the fact that each member receives an SSI check.
- Ascertain what members may or may not know about the amount, purpose, and use of their monthly checks.
- As a group, read the worksheet packet together.
- Generate questions about SSI.
- Email individual parents or guardians with questions with the SSI questions that each member generated.