U.S.S. Constitution: “Old Ironsides”
Created by Michael Bowman
Applies to: Understanding and Participating in Community, Life Skills
Purpose: Members will learn the story of this famous piece of local history as a foundation for our Charlestown field trip to the U.S.S. Constitution Museum.
- Learn about the history of the U.S.S. Constitution using worksheets, Youtube, and other websites.
- Travel to U.S.S. Constitution Museum in Charlestown.
- Smart Board & iPad
- Markers & pencils
- Charlie Cards
- Museum passes (free from library)
1. Using iPad and Smartboard, watch:
- "Things You Didn’t know about the USS Constitution”
- “1950’s Newsreel about Old Ironsides”
- “U.S.S. Constitution sailing under its own power”
- USS Constitution Museum
- USS Constitution Street View Google Maps
2. Do worksheets
3. Travel to Charlestown Navy Yard & U.S.S. Constitution Museum
Carrying the Concept Forward
This activity re-enforces and informs our growing understanding and appreciation of local history and the vital roles Massachusetts played in the birth of our country.