Created by Meghan Montgomery, 3L Place, July 2018
Applies to: Creative Expression, Self-Awareness, Relationships
Goal: Focus on a range of sensory rich activities and experiences to support and deepen physical regulation, neurodiversity, positive mental health, creative expression, reflection, and communication
Setting Up Logistics: Set up 3 sensory stations to maximize the sensory experience and attention span of members involved (see attached visual supports below for examples of ideas and supports that can be included).
- Encourage members to read visual supports for each station AND/OR read the station supports to the member (see titles below):
- Water Exploration Station!
- Sand Exploration Station!
- Paper Towel Tie Dye Art!
- Spend time at each station one at a time exploring the range of sensory experiences
- Encourage members to reflect on their preferential stations, potentially rating each station from favorite to least favorite.
- Reflect as a group by gesturing, writing down a word or feeling, and/or speaking a word to elaborate on the experience.
- Sand timers or visual timers to encourage sustained attention at each station if needed.
- Music playing in the background - for example, 3L Place loves the “Harry Belafonte Dayo” on Pandora.
- Reuseable dish gloves for individuals who are more sensitive to various textures.
- Warm water seems more inviting than cold water to our 3L members, however, variations could be alerting if needed.
- Essential oils are nice to drop in the water if individuals have interest and olfactory preferences.